The Romanian Cup is starting today in Cluj-Napoca, the host city of the Final 4 of the competition. The main favourite to win it is U-Banca Transilvania for a couple of reasons:
- They will play in front of their crowds of supporters, who helped them to win many important games, especially in the Fiba Europe Cup. Recently, U-Banca Trnaislvania has qualified in the Quarterfinals of the European competition, winning the last game of the group in front of Ironi Nes-Ziona. That’s why their morale before the Romanian Cup has to be sky-high.
- CSM Oradea, the other title contender has lost already 2 times this season in Cluj-Napoca against the host team. They were in the same Fiba Europe Cup group with U-Banca Transilvania, but they finished on the last spot.
- The host team of the tournament didn’t lose any crucial game at home this season, including the European campaign where they won all their home games many of them against better teams (Enisey Krasnoyarsk, Tsmoki-Minsk) than CSM Oradea.
- U-Banca Transilvania has a superior roster, headlined by the former Euroleague center Darko Planinic. The other players like Patrick Richard, Donatas Tarolis, Karlo Zganec, Artis Ate, L.J. Peak and Kerron Johnson have an important experience in the European basketball. One of the most important things for the team is the presence of the legendary coach Dusko Vujosevic, who is coordinating very well their training. He came in summer to help with his brilliant ideas U-Banca Transilvania winning some trophies.
- For U-Banca Transilvania the game in the semifinals will be easier, while in the other semifinals Dinamo Bucharest can build a stronger opposition to CSM Oradea. A couple of days ago, Dinamo lost at Oradea with only 4 points and today, they can be able to make the surprise, having an ambitious and experienced roster.
Photo: Fiba Europe Cup