Who left and who’s new in the Basketball Champions League
The 2019-2020 Basketball Champions League season brings some interesting changes. A lot of teams left and some new teams were brought in to this continental competition. Let`s see who left and who`s new, in comparison with the last year. I mention that I will take into consideration only teams selected for the regular season and not the ones from the qualifiers.
- Le Mans – Last year they were eliminated in the first round of play-offs by Virtus Bologna. They will take a year break; will not participate in any European competition.
- Avellino – Last year they didn`t qualify for playoffs and now they play in Italy Seria B, after being relegated. They won`t participate in any European competition.
- Ludwigsburg – They finished last in Group A last season. This season they will concentrate more on reconstruction and will take a break from any other competition, regardless German League.
- Venezia – They were eliminated in the first round of play-offs by Nizhny Novgorod. It was a huge surprise and this year they took the decision to play in EuroCup.
- Opava – They were eliminated in the regular season last year. No European competition for them this year.
- Fuenlabrada – They didn`t pass the regular season stage last year. They won`t participate in any European competition.
- Virtus Bologna – Last year champions took a surprise decision to play this year in EuroCup, despite the fact that their chairman stated that Virtus will try to defend their title. Their big-budget and big acquisitions make them change their minds.
- Promitheas – After being eliminated in the first round of play-offs, last season, by Tenerife, the Greek team changed the competition and now will try their luck in EuroCup.
- Petrol Olimpija – They were last in Group D last season. Now, after fusion with Cedevita, they will play in EuroCup, under name KK Cedevita Olimpija.
- Zaragoza – The team from Spain is at their first-ever appearance in the competition. They played in a European competition 4 years ago.
- Manresa – After 21 years, they return to European competition. They clinch the Spanish League play-offs last season but were eliminated by Real Madrid with a 2-0.
- Dinamo Sassari – Last season FIBA Europe Cup winners will move to BasketballCL after a 2 years break.
- Pau-Orthez – 3 years past from the last Pau`s appearance in a European competition. They are newcomers in the competition and will try to win as many games as they can.
- Gaziantep – They are back in the competition after a 2 years break.
- Peristeri – After a 16 years drought, they are back in Europe. Last year they were second in Greek League regular season and were eliminated by Panathinaikos in semifinals.
- Rasta Vechta – After a very good season in the German league, Rasta will compete for the first time ever in a European competition.
- Turk Telekom – They were eliminated in the first round of EuroCup last season, now they will participate in Champions League for the first time.
- VEF Riga – They participate in VTB League last seasons and now they will play for the first time in this competition.
- Happy Casa Brindisi – After a 4 years break, they return for European competition.
Photo credit: championsleague.basketball
Bogdan Vasile Tirc