This Euroleague season was an intense one and the battle for the last playoffs places is tougher than ever with 8 teams being separated by only 2 wins between Panathinaikos in 6th place with 14-14 record and Baskonia from 13th place with 12-16 record. In today’s article I want to point out who are the top 5 players with the most turnovers made by far in the competition and what are the other stats they have. As expected all of them are guards, who are spending a lot of minutes on the court every game and having the ball control most of the time to build offensive plays.
5. Here we have a former Euroleague’s best player and champion, Nando de Colo who is averaging 2.88 turnovers in 24 games played this season for his new team Fenerbahce. In the same time he has almost 16 points and 3 assists per game, being one of the most creative players in the entire competition.
4. With 83 turnovers and 2.9 per game, Mike James is occupying the next position in this category. He’s the main scoring threat from CSKA Moscow and many attacks of the Russian team go through his hands. He averages 21 points per game in 28 games which makes him one of the best scorers in this Euroleague season. On the assists column he averages 4.2 per game, which shows his willingness to pass the ball to the open man, despite several critics received in the past that he doesn’t pass to ball to their teammates.
3. On this position we have three players with the same amount of turnovers as Vasilije Micic, Thomas Walkup and Lorenzo Brown all have made 75 turnovers. But, the ‘’winner’’ here is Micic because he played less games than the others and averages 3.13 turnovers per game. He is one of the main ball handlers of Anadolu Efes, the current Euroleague leaders. The other stats for him are 14.4 points, 5.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game, making his presence very important for the Turkish team.
2. Second in this category is Panathinaikos assists and turnovers leader, Nick Calathes. He has 92 turnovers and 3.3 per game. He leads the competition in assists averaging 9.1 per game, but those mistakes give the opponents some unwanted extra-possessions. His season record came in 14 Nov 2019 against ALBA Berlin when he ended with 9 turnovers, 10 points and 10 assists. He’s a very good playmaking player, one of the best in Europe, but sometimes he lose his focus and made some mistakes or force some shots that can be very useful for his team.
1. Our today ‘’champion’’ is Khimki Moscow point guard, Alexey Shved. He orchestrates almost all the attacks for Russian side and he’s also a very good scorer with 21.4 points per game. Everybody knows Shved’s style to do almost everything by himself. There were several cases when he had very good nights and scored a lot of points, especially in the final minutes of the game, but also some weak appearences on the court.
Bogdan Vasile Tirc